Tuesday, March 27, 2018

My reading around the subject has translated into some decent (in my mind) conversations with the children over dinner about stereotypes and harassment and inequalities. I've just finished a brilliant book by the brilliant Laura Bates called Everyday Sexism. She span it out of the blog with the same name. The book is wonderful (and horrifying) in all ways. So I was delighted to discover that she's 'made' a new book called Girl Up. I eagerly ordered it from the library and collected it last night.

A good title. So when last night's meal was done, I say encouragingly to the child: "what do you make of this title? What does it mean to you?" (Ever the researcher - poor kids.) We discuss it a little and she leans in to peer over my shoulder as I open the book to see what wonders it contains. 

To see ARRRGGGHHHHHHH AIIIEEEEEE inside the front cover. So that caused some disruption and indecent conversation around the table. All in a good cause, though, eh?
 

1 Comments:

Blogger imw said...

It would make a great flyer for a feminist stand-up comedian's Fringe show.

12:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home