Saturday, March 03, 2007

We caught "Mrs Warren's Profession" at the Lyceum this afternoon. Cleverly I (again) managed to sleep through a chunk of the first act. Still, my sleepiness wasn't aided by a leaving night the day before (farewell quiet / sullen boys!) and a money-saving booking in the Grand Circle boxes which left me with possibly the worst view of the stage in the entire theatre.

I guess it depends on how whatever it is staged but this production saw the actors spending much of their time just under my sightline from box F. Luckily my comrades were rather more fortunate in box C and faced most of the action. Given that I had booked the tickets, I suppose it was only fitting.

I snuck into the back of the Grand Circle for the second act, alongside Ross who fortuitously had two empty seats alongside him.

I notice I failed to mention a rather super outing (as Brian would describe it - had he been there) to Manchester a couple of weekends back. Ross and I went down to see The Vortex at the Royal Exchange Theatre. It's a cracking theatre. I can see why the aforementioned Mr Neill raved about it.

They flew chandeliers in and out by way of scene changes. Our more erudite companions realised that the striking black and white tiling on the stage area perhaps alluded to a vortex. At almost the climax of the play, the middle of the stage elevated and finished by rotating. They must have budgets I will only ever be able to dream of. Or maybe this is regular fixture with a theatre that doesn't accommodate much by wayof scenery.

It was a nice little play. Great part for a dissolute young man. It would suit Ross beautifully. The lead lady was excellent. Will Young - the main point of the trip of course - struggled through manfully but wasn't quite up to the challenge. But he is adorable so we forgive him. I would have run round to the stage door like a groupie but felt our erudite companions might frown on this. Next time.

Still haven't heard from my agent. Is it time to name names and use the blogosphere to shame him into replying..?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home