Tuesday, November 07, 2006

We have 4 rehearsals to go. Tonight was quite good actually, although the poor things looked tired and scared. I'm sure the delay to my flight back from London didn't help. And from the snippets I picked up on my belated return, they'd all been bickering amongst themselves in my absence. While the cat's away. Another startling resemblence to a school playground.

We have a replacement for the actor who felt he couldn't turn down paid work in a pantomime with a week and a half to go til our opening night. Endearing behaviour. However he did obligingly suggest a replacement who turns out to be cute as you like and apparently a considerably better actor than the poor departed fellow. However I have now learnt that first rehearsals count for nothing and those who initially seem competent can quickly become useless and shit when it comes to the crunch. So I shall not count my chickens.

More endearingly still, another of my actors failed to turn up and failed to proffer any kind of excuse. Thoughful times. I called her house on the way home and seems she's at work. Clearly we all have to work but a little word of apology might not go amiss. I pity my poor faithful regularly attending members of the cast. No wonder they look scared with such arbitrary absences.

Anyway, I feel a bit more cheerful about the beast that is the show. My props woman is in London working for the rest of week and my poor producer seems to be running round like a mad thing trying to fill the gaps. My sound man wants more money - I say more money when it would be fairer to say 'some money' as he's currently working with none - and I don't think we can afford to give it to him. My stage manager and his faithful assistant don't appear to have met yet. And my set builder - dear faithful Andy who knows the answer to everything and whom I dearly wish I could consult - is thoughtlessly in India. And I don't have my brilliantly digitally remastered soundtrack from my brilliant mixing man.

Still, these are but tiny inconveniences I think. I have some brilliant actors and the set will look great and the lighting / costumes will look magic. Just as well I suppose. We start a week tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home