Monday, June 19, 2006

Phsew. Auditions yesterday yielded a rather more robust turnout. Seven or eight people turned up. Which clearly isn’t enough on its own but coupled with the four auditionees to date, the various offers to do small parts and the brilliant audition CD received in last week’s post from Barbancais, it puts us in rather better shape.

We have a further audition scheduled for Thursday to round up the waifs and strays who couldn’t make either of the weekend dates. And I have various promises of attendance for that. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that a few more boys turn up. Some very good girls auditioned but I could do with more men (no change there then).

It was very interesting hearing people read according to my flimsy direction. And extraordinarily, most of yesterday’s auditionees expressed an interest in the part of the Singer. I find that one of the duller (dullest?) parts in the play but perhaps I am not fully appreciating the fine poetry of the language. Certainly s/he plays an important role but surely less satisfying to play than Natella the bitch, Grusha the angel or crazy Azdak? But this probably highlights again my lack of appreciation of the art of Brecht. Or perhaps they’re all just after the part with the most words…

Now of course the great debate begins as to who would be best for what.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home