Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I’ve just seen the most amazing show. “Knot” by Deborah Colker’s companhia de danca. It was incredible.

Seventeen dancers (just goes to show that asymmetry is good). A huge collection of ropes pulled into a column as the curtain opened were subsequently untangled and strewn across the stage as the dancers slid through and tied (each other) up and wound amongst them.

Then a Perspex box complete with impromptu lap dancing poles, artful ladders so the dancers could clamber in and out, a white and scarlet set and the dancers slithering against the plastic walls. And oh my god a girl “tight-roped” along the edge of it and then cast herself off into the waiting arms of her companions. And oh my god again, then someone hauled out a pole from one of the corners and they span the box so it revolved on the stage.

I want imagination like that.

What I love about dance productions is the attention to detail. What I mean is the way that all elements of a stage show are called into play. So this had a brilliant score / soundtrack, a cracking set and exceptionally beautiful lighting. Helped I suppose by the 17 sinuous, athletic, fluid dancers.

They’re a Brazilian company and learnt philosophy alongside ballet, modern dance and presumably rope tricks in preparation for the show. Must remember that one.

I was so impressed that I bought a programme which my fellow theatre goers will know is almost unprecedented as I’m usually far too mean. And I like the following quote from Ms Colker herself:

“If what is being said has emotion, sensibility, intelligence and originality, nothing else…no technique, no age…matters.”

The ticket was a birthday present from my father. A brilliant gift. Beloved daddy.

I’m very very impressed. Needless to say, I want a collection of ropes, trapeze artists and a perspex box in CCC in November…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home