Sunday, May 14, 2006

Saw a brilliant film yesterday, "Brick". The review in Metro said it was trying to present the troubles that teenagers face as being just as real, distressing, involving etc. as the problems that adults face. Certainly the troubles faced by these teenagers were significant. Although as a slight straying from reality, the kids were all beautiful. Anyway, film was great. Beautifully put together. Then I saw the Lyceum's production of "Les Liaisons Dangereuses". Which was an excellent exercise in speaking "old-fashioned" words in a modern style. Encouraging for the Brecht I think. Although I'm not sure I'll steal their trick of making the monied classes speak with RP and the young / more peasantlike speak in broad Scots. Or perhaps that was just the coincidence of the casting.

Hauled myself along to the auditions for Arkle's festival show on Monday night. They're doing The Tempest (and Art - which I'm marginally less suitable for). It was a super (very Brian word) demonstration of how not to run an audition. Three young pretty things were called in to read - and re-called in. I got to read my three lines having waited for the best part of an hour and a half. (Good things come to those who wait?) And apparently that was enough for the director to determine my abilities and I was allowed to go home. Obviously I say this because I am bitter at not having been cast. At least I assume I will not be cast.

Another most unfortunate consequence of the auditions is that two rather fine actors who I'd been hoping might audition for CCC have been cast in Art. Which does a week in the festival and then adjourns to Melrose for a week in October. Still, at least one of them has cheerfully said that he hates Brecht so perhaps he wouldn't have auditioned anyway.

The only good thing that came out of it was the opportunity to spread word of the forthcoming auditions amongst a very talented group of people. So with luck, some good will come of it all. This after all is what Nick, the Brecht hater, had suggested as a cunning strategy all along.

Many people seem very enthusistic about it. After their initial anxious gulping at the prospect of such a mammoth beast of a show. I am getting quick excited about it now.

Although a further body blow, my would-be production manager is looking at a holiday in Rajasthan in the show week. Inconsiderate times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home