Sunday, April 16, 2006

I wandered along to Dancebase to register for a class in the new term the other day. Slackly only sloping up at quarter to ten – with booking opening at ten – I was given ticket number 96. Which meant I ended up waiting a prime total of two and a half hours to be seen.

But I’d come prepared with a couple of the translations of Caucasian Chalk Circle. CCC as a friend abbreviated in a text. So whiled away the time comparing the two. I gather there are three English translations in total. And having decided on a favourite, I then started plodding through it in an attempt to work out what I could cut.

I’m finding this difficult because I find a lot of it very funny. Some of it can be easily dispensed with – there’s a scene where Grusha flees across a collapsing bridge which wouldn’t be easy to stage convincingly for example so I’m happy to abandon that. But apart from a couple of obvious sections and the odd line here and there, the rest of it is either entertaining or relevant (unsurprisingly I suppose – he wrote it three hours long for a reason…).

Having said this, it’s hard to work out what I find funny – with my weird sense of humour – and what genuinely is funny. Any ideas?

1 Comments:

Blogger Martin said...

I was a bit more successful in my registration at dancebase - despite the web server crashing under the strain. Got through on the phone 3rd attempt! Mind you it too them 3 tries to register and ended up with 3 card debits which hadto be cancelled - poor Maddy on the desk. Still that's a week and a half in now, I hope your classes are going well too. As for the RBS Drama Club - they couldn't persuade me to join - too many egos.

5:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home