Thursday, February 02, 2012

You'll know that I'm not a big fan of Shakespeare on film.

To the extent that I still haven't actually managed to catch up with last summer's (the summer before's, really) The Tempest with Helen Mirren as Prosp. Era.

I went to see Coriolanus purely as an excuse to see a particular friend of mine whom I rarely see as she's childed so her weekends are wildness. So gifthorse and mouth would have been united if I'd turned down the chance to see her and see a cinema at a weekend. I figured the film would be good for me. Educational. And if the worse came to the worse - I could always sleep.

As it turned out, I slept not a wink. It was brilliant.

I loved the setting. Unspecified Eastern Europe. Loved the cinematography. All chilly greys and khakis mostly. Except for Coriolanus' lush palace but we lost sight of that towards the end.

I don't know how much they'd chopped about the script but I more or less fancied that I could follow the story.

And suddenly, the beauty of Shakespeare on film was revealed to me. Where in the theatre, you're stuck with one place - or lots of scenes with different palm tree pictures or whatever; on film, you can of course show whatsoever you like to make the point. How the story-telling is enhanced. (Man, I can hear Siobhan sadly shaking her head at my appreciation for the spoon feed.)

The direction was rather marvellous which helped. There was only one shot that felt a little bit gratuitous. Can't tell you what it is as it'll ruin the ending. But it was neither too sentimental nor too unemotional. Jarhead meets a story with a bit more of a heart.

I even liked Ralph (Rafe, I said casually to a friend a day later over noodles. She looked up at me sharply: "what? when did you get so posh?" I was plunged immediately into pronunciatory indecision) Fiennes. I've never quite understood the vanity of someone that would direct themselves in the main part of a play. I don't understand how you can possibly be objective. Fundamentally, I'll confess, I think I'm an amazing actress. (Oh god please see that as tongue in cheek.) And can only imagine the horrors I would turn in if I was watching myself doing it. (Actually, that situation would never arise. I'd more likely instantly sack myself.)

The point is - I would never do it. I judge those that do.

But he did. And he was great.

So maybe I should take it back.

Go see it if you can. It's a cracker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home