Monday, November 08, 2010

I've been sadly lagging behind in this here blog. Makes a change.

What I've most importantly missed out is last Friday night which seems impossibly long ago. But on this night, I had a twofold pleasure. The best little whorehouse in Texas by Allegro at the Churchill and then one of the debut performances of the newly formed Stantons line up.

The tiny Whorehouse was a peculiar show, replete with missed storyline opportunities as far as I could see. What of the sweet pure girl who was driven to join the whorehouse by some darkly hinted-at circumstance which never quite emerged but despite her butter wouldn't melt appearance, took to whorelife as the proverbial duck? And what of the easily led girl who came to the tiny place as the latest in a long list of other equivalent locations but wanted nothing so much as to get home for Christmas to be with her child? None of these tousled ends were adequately tied. Nor was the simmering under for the whole of the show romance between the madam and her sheriff resolved. Not really.

So storywise, full of disappointment. However, from the point of view of seeing a bunch of my friends pranking about in a series of daft costumes, it was great fun. Helen handstanded (handstood?) with a vengeance. In fact, with a verticality which made me quite jealous. I was also a rubbish handstander. Yvonne was tassled and slutty. Just as she should be. And DG. Well. I would pay money over and over if only I could for the delight of his little shoe-shuffley dance and perky little song piece. He was truly deliciously wonderful. So this, coupled with pink prosecco, was a fine night in itself.

Yet more greatness was to come.

We flew then to an excellently hidden away basement in the Tron to see The Stantons plus Cari and Umi. And O! How Neil (and fellow band members) have fallen on their feet with these pretty girls. As they also happen to be able to sing rather finely. You see, I had most of an inkling that Cari was pretty competent given our Tempestuous times. But there was no reason at all to suppose that Umi could also hold a more than competent tune.

As it turned out, they were the perfect complement for each other. I loved the previous Stantons gig I saw. But maybe I have to confess that I felt that this topped it. Though I am hideouosly biased as the last one that I saw did not feature 'my' girls. I suggest, Mr one-time Musical Director, that you hold onto these ones tighter than a fisherman clasps onto a tough slippery salmon. But I think you know that. O, and loving the new Circus song too. Almost a perfect soundtrack for a circus themed party, were such a thing in the offing...

All in all then, a finer Friday night than I could have hoped for. I came away feeling inappropriately proud as none of these talents are anything to do with me but how lucky to know such clever people.

1 Comments:

Blogger the_spiel said...

Bless your cotton socks. We shall certainly try to keep a hold of both of them, since they are musical gems! And it's always nice to get a good review. Looking forward to returning the favour next week...

8:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home