Sunday, March 28, 2010

Mr Write by Rob Drummond for the National Theatre of Scotland at the Traverse on Friday night (not that you needed all that detail) was a remarkable thing.

Mr Drummond sets out to create a play on the spot, using input from the audience to so do. Specifically, the life of one of the audience members as input.

Now the first and most important thing to say about this is that it's a play for kids. I say kids and I suspect that's too dismissive. A play for teenagers, I should say. So as far as I'm concerned, a certain amount of care should be taken with the subject matter to accommodate the presence of the younger members of our society in the audience. And care he did take. I suspect to the detriment of the eventual play plot which I think left Siobs and Brian feeling a little disgruntled slash patronised. But to my mind, the end product was perfect for the target audience and perfect for all those, like me, who have the heart of a nine year old trapped in an oldening body.

It's hard to say very much about this play without it sounding rubbish. He started by urging his chosen subject to pick a word from a dictionary and then he, miracle of miracles, guessed it. I say miracle. Siobs and Brian said sly trickery. But what do they know?

Then all sorts of questions to build up a picture of the little one's life. And I daresay you can find out interesting things about anyone if you try hard enough but this girl had a lovely turn of phrase and some adorable eccentricities. She said she'd been raised by 4 St Bernards in her parents' giant garden. And she had a phobia about the charmingly infuriating Disney song Little April Showers. Good phobia choice, I say.

Obligingly, she was surrounded in the theatre by her classmates which gave rise to endless hilarity as she spoke kindly or less so about various of them.

And then the technical man does a bit of wizardry and Rob picks up his laptop and bashes out a little play referencing a whole bundle of the things that the little one had told him. Now partly I'm impressed as watching him interrogate her was a little bit like watching someone doing my day job. And to do it live in front of an audience of handfuls of people is no mean feat.

But I most loved the swiftness of conceiving the story with an eye to making it (to my mind - mindful of my sceptical audience) something bigger than just a display of cleverness and quick wit. I think (I hope) Mr Drummond might have sent away his young audience with a little bit more belief in themselves. As well as sending his subject away with a copy of her script. And for a teenage audience presented with a million more choices than they ever had 50 years ago, that (to my mind) is no bad thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home