Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I can't quite decide if I was always going to like Girl with a Dragon Tattoo (or rather Man som hatar kvinnor - so much more elegant in the Swedish) or whether it was just simply an excellent film.

It was beautifully true to the book for starters. The casting was great. My only tiny tiny bugbear was that Erika wasn't quite as stunning as I felt she should have been. But this could just be because I love Blomkvist. And I didn't like Salander's black lipstick. But that aside, the script was neat and quick. They packed a giant fat story into two and a half hours. (James Cameron could learn from this, I feel.) It was twisty turny without being impenetrable. It was bleak enough and gory enough but not too gory. I think in fact that both violent and sexual encounters were handled beautifully. And it's gloriously teetering on the edge of the sequel.

All in all, a film which I loved.

Giant big enormous hats off to director Niels Arden Oplev. And I am so glad that Hollywood didn't get hold of it first. Thanks all. You served my favourite novel of 2009 ever so well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home