Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Well I'm back now, more's the pity (though I'm sure Brian doesn't think so). In fact, I've been back 5 long days already. And a sliver of a night.

I had a fun filled awards night with work on Friday at which I triumphantly won precisely nothing. With my client sat next to me waiting expectantly. This was onlt mildly embarrassing.

Saturday was considerably more entertaining. The boy and I went to Club Noir in Glasgow. Their fifth birthday party in fact. We've tried this out once before - last festival in Edinburgh - and it was a terrible night. Unatmospheric. Terrible visibility. Terrible acts mostly so it hardly mattered. A weird assortment of people who should have known better, all weirdly costumed. And was it really compered by Jim Bowen?? Yes, indeed, it was. It was as disappointing as Vegas after Going Places. Which was stupendously disappointing. So I didn't feel very predisposed to try it again.

However, you must give these things the benefit of the doubt. And it surely wouldn't have lasted so long if this had been the best it had to offer. Perhaps Edinburgh isn't cool enough to accommodate these things. Who's to say?

Anyway, to get to the point, Saturday night was fabulous. We spent most of the night people watching. Everyone was beautiful (or at least trying their best). All kinds of corsetry, military uniforms, wigs, feathers (but importantly no boas), sequins on men and women alike, false eyelashes, giant platform shoes, a few glorious frock coats and powdered wigs. I only missed Ross.

The acts were variable. My favourite was the young man who burst out of a birthday cake and ballet danced. The gimp girl who lashed her long plaits about the stage was a bit daft. There was a gorgeous singer. We missed the band as we were in the upstairs bar while Russell patiently queued for drinks and I reapplied my lipstick and enjoyed the view. And the DJ slot for the last hour was a remarkably arbitrary clutter of SNAP I've got the Power through to (surely more appropriately, Mr Sinatra. But by then, I was so seduced, it hardly even mattered.

The next one is Halloween. Mark it in your diary boys and girls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home