Monday, March 30, 2009

Fri 27th March 2009

It’s been a fantastically productive time here. Thursday morning, DG very kindly fiddled around with various scraps of this and that to put together a publicity puff for Antigone for the Cloud Nine programme. Gordon showed us the work-in-progress website he’s putting together for the group.

Friday morning, DG auditioned Brian for Wit. And we hosted Jo, Jo’s dog Oscar, JGH and Iain Kerr and read Antigone to get an idea of timings. Gratifyingly, an hour and fifteen which is what I’d kinda guessed at. And it meant I – at last – got to read Antig. If only I wasn’t too old (and directing)… And then Russell painstakingly navigated the Fringe office website to complete our fringe programme entry. So it’s not been an entirely idle break we’ve had up here.

The shows. My my. Well I liked “And go to Innisfree” much more than I did last time around. They do it very well. Then we had a terrible show called Purvis by Leslie Am Dram Club. Well the girl spoke in a Minnie Mouse voice but was very attractive so her ‘vocal register’ didn’t seem to be a problem and in fact, the adjud said she gave a stunning performance. The man was a stoical actor. The tale told of a bereaved man who had lost hope in life but found new momentum from being assigned health and safety responsibilities at the local church. But oh how humourous, he got a bit carried away and many accidents resulted. There was one funny line – he wanted to put a sign saying ‘mind the step’ on the altar – which struck a chord with anyone with a mildly churchy upbringing. But aside from this, it was a turgid play.

The last one I can’t really comment on as I had a tactical sleep. It was some young farmers group. They were very enthusiastic. But when two characters appeared dressed as Sherlock Holmes and Watson in some (deliberately) faux-Victorian living room, I felt my theatrical education would not suffer if I took a rest.

DG believes we are still placed third overall. But there are still three plays to go so time yet for us to get bumped lower!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home