Monday, July 23, 2007

I seem to be spending all of my free time at the moment listening listening to prospective music for the play. I guess my task is aided by the fact that my sofas are still stashed in the spare room after the great sanding of the floorboards. So no place to relax and instead I must perch austerely on a dining chair, hunched over the stereo and fiddle and fuss with timings.

I think I'm almost there. I have at least a running order. With only a few gaps. My great dilemma is the all-important track one. I had thought of David Bowie's "Nature Boy" which, lifted straight from the Moulin Rouge soundtrack, has a fantastic little v/o at the start of it about how the woman he loved is (gasp) dead. Even more poignant. But it seems somehow wrong to steal Ewan Macgregor's voice and attach it to my play.

I thought I'd seek my cast's opinion. Lucien was all for it. But then he's so polite, who can ever tell what he really thinks? Madeleine thought it was a bit long. Which it is - at 2 minutes something before we could start any lines. And Anthony was too hungover to care.

The alternative is a track called Moonchild by a band called M83 (courtesy of Danny Farrimond via Ross so thank you most kindly sir as it's lovely). I delayed the decision yesterday until we have a better idea of the running time (needs to be 1 hour and 10 mins) so can establish whether or not we can afford to waste 2 minutes on scene setting.

I'm sure professional theatre isn't as haphazard as this!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home