Wednesday, January 22, 2020

I made the mistake of trusting the cinema app yesterday, arrived to see a 2D showing of 1917 (for surely it doesn't need any bells and whistles), only to discover it was being shown i'faith in two dimensions but in the 4DX screen. 

As I'd organised my evening around this screening, I grudgingly slumped into the screen. (Not quite true - I ran lightly as I was hoping I'd see an ad we've just launched.) And I didn't fancy waiting an hour and a half for the next purely two dimensional showing. 

But unlike Black Panther which I think only benefitted from the bucking bronco frolics, I did not feel poor 1917 was enhanced. I'd even go so far as to say it suffered. Possibly if you don't giggle when your seat shakes or when air is zipped past your collarbone, this unfortunate side effect might be avoided. But vulnerable me snickered through the calamity - which Sam Mendes surely doesn't want.

There's a valuable lesson in this, I think. It's a gorgeous film. Fabulous acting. Sumptuous cinematography. But perhaps using 4DX to try and recreate the heart-numbing bone-crunching blood-chilling stomach-curdling excruciating calamitous horror of World War One was a little crass. 

I might go see it again so I can sit still throughout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home