Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Twenty Feet From Stardom.

I'd imagined this as a cross between Pitch Perfect and Step It Up, featuring some collection of women styled like the Supremes. Shows how much I know about backing singers.

In fact, this is a bright and brilliant documentary that dabbles in a history of pop music but really focuses on the (most often) women who lurk in the background and prop up the pop star's sometimes spindly vocals. 

All sorts of tales are told. Stellar singers who opted for supporting roles for fun. Potentially stellar singers whose songs were stolen by producers. Families fabricating a living out of background singing and Avatar (who knew?) sound effects. 

And it's all woven about with the sultry, seductive, soaring sound of the beautiful background harmonies.

I, for one, burst out of the cinema thinking I should like to try. (Beyond my Bitch outing in the Tempest.) And I raced home and bought some CDs so I can start practising.

Sting, if you're reading this, I think I'd be an excellent complement to the insanely talented Lisa Fischer. My dance moved might be lacking but stick me away at the back and no-one'll notice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home