Saturday, November 12, 2011

I've now seen our Hamlet (as opposed to the Michael Sheen version which opened on the same day) x3.

It's a cracking show. I do hope you'll be coming to see it tonight if you haven't already. (7:30pm, St Brides on Orwell Terrace.)

Having seen it thrice, I feel I'm now at slight liberty to take brief attention away from the actors to ponder the audience and their reaction.

So I witnessed a prize moment last night.

If you don't want to have any sort of indication about what happens in the plot, don't read on.

If you don't mind (or indeed, already know what happens), there's a gun shot towards the start of the second half.

It's very sudden and startling so the audience reactions are quite entertaining.

Last night, I was sat in the bank of raked seats so I had a prime vantage point.

The shots were fired.

A few people leapt about a bit like salmon flailing on one of those fish ladders that I still hunger (bad choice of word) to see in action.

One lady clapped her hand over her mouth in horror. She was directly opposite the incident so was fully exposed to the outrage.

And then I spied She Who Shall Remain Nameless, sat upstage, looking utterly unruffled while smoothly, confidently, guiding her glass of wine to her mouth.

I'll give you a clue as to her identity.

A child of hers features in the flyer for my 2012 festival show.

Orla Guerin, eat your heart out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home