Tuesday, January 04, 2011

The past three days have been a veritable cultural feast. Variable culture but certainly feasty. So I've (mostly) enjoyed:

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, third of the Narnia Chronicles, in 3D I might add. Pure comfort viewing. Although wicked little Eustace turned in a thoroughly dislikeable performance. Always admirable in a child, I think.

Jules and Julia. Featuring the ever lovely and incredibly talented Meryl Streep. Also sweet enough but I'd been led to expect great things and was left vaguely disappointed. Although let's be fair - I slept through the last portion of it so maybe this would have been the icing on the buttery cake.

Handel's Messiah. Of course I slept a little through this too but not nearly as much as I'd expected. Cracking music. In my (inflated with absurd self-importance) opinion, the performance was a little raggedy. Mother's "I would only go and see it if I knew exactly who was singing in it" beat around my head in time with the kettle drums.

The Kids are All Right. A great film. The gorgeous Julianne Moore. Annette Bening frowning a lot. Two beautiful children and a nicely sculpted gardener. Very funny and perfectly poignant.

On Tour. Tournee really. The Guardian dubbed this a "loose entertaining jaunt". Loose would be the word. Or perhaps just French. The story rambles around the place with neither a clear beginning nor end nor very well-defined sub plots. But everyone is beautiful. Lots of long lingering camera work. Introspection in abundance. And sequins galore. Loved it / Loved Mathieu Amalric (who shamelessly wrote, directed and starred. But I'm glad that he did).

I don't really have time to go back to work. Tis a pity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home