Sunday, June 27, 2010

I saw a rather splendid production of The Caretaker last night.

I don't know Pinter at all - with the exception of Iain Kerr's fabulous production of something or other in the one act play festival some years back featuring Gordon Craig as star young man. Both he and it were fantastic. But I think in my head I wrote this off as an inconsistent flicker of brilliance in the midst of an otherwise inaccessible portfolio.

If last night was anything to go by, I was most wrong.

I expect you are all far more roundly educated than me and know the story back to front and outside in so I shan't retell here. But the three actors were superb. The set was jumbly just so. The Brunton was the perfect little venue. It was a beautifully choreographed, polished, slick little production with just the right sinister keeping you guessing overtones. All the more impressive as they've been trekking about the country with it for months now.

You have ten more chances to see it before it is done. Theatre at its lovely best. London Classic Theatre. Dates here. Hope you manage to hook up with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home