Friday, February 19, 2010

Well. Last night was great fun. Snarled up at work so I missed the first play but by some accounts, this wasn't the biggest loss. However, it is all of course, a question of taste. And I would have liked to see Don Arnott do his stuff. Aside from That One Moment When The Mask Slipped (TOMWTMS), he's been unfailingly kind to me. So a pity but perhaps it shall come to pass at Grangemouth.

Then our worthy Proposal. And what a happy antidote to a drudgy grumpy day at work. The play is nonsense (sorry, Chekhov, if you're reading this) though the Michael Frayn adaptation is elegant as ever. Craig was a marvellous hypochodriac, all flailing arms and fluttering heart. He was great fun. And Lorraine is just marvellous. I love watching her act. I love that the last thing I saw her do was grief stricken Greek noblewoman Eurydice and here she was posturing and pouting and hurumphing like a proper Russian peasant. Cracking play from Mary. Beautifully moral supported / stage managed by Gillian. Marvellously sound cued by Ross. I liked the was it Bach early doors? I coveted the clouds on the cyc. All in all, a production to do us completely proud. I was fair chuffed as Susan might say.

Speaking of whom, Susan as you've never seen her featured in the next play. A cliché strewn portrayal of life on the streets. But Susan is another one that I love to see on stage. She's beautifully versatile. In this play, she featured in a mud-spattered wedding dress, body warmer and rainbow gloves accompanied by her trusty shopping trolley and invisible dog, smudge. She was magic.

And that was Thursday night.

Today, despite taking a theoretical day's holiday, I'm completely disorganised in advance of the opening and only night. Too busy trying to rescue lost cats and tending to my left eye which has thoughtfully puffed up to thrice its normal size. Just so I look truly evil on stage tonight.

Wish us luck. Most especially stage debut Russell with his jingling jangling keys and curly sheep horns. Pray that I do not laugh in the peasant dance. It's very very exciting.

1 Comments:

Blogger imw said...

Was it finding that cat that caused the eye to swell or is it a self-inflicted wound to enhance your performance?

5:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home