Saturday, August 22, 2009

To distract myself from my last night misery, an afternoon's Fringe viewing.

Incidentally I noticed that the Scotsman gave The Devoured 4 stars. For nothing, nothing, fucking nothing I would say. Clearly my appetite for misery isn't as great as it could be.

First off, I saw a fabulous little show called Stars on the Ceiling by teater fredag, a Swedish theatre group. It was one of those terrible gamble shows. I'd read nothing about it, seen no reviews of it, never heard of either it or the group but the precious 40 words in the Fringe programme sounded interesting so I thought I'd give it a whirl. And it was marvellous.

It's about a 13 year old girl, Jenna, who's beset with the usual 13 year old worries. Except about to be ladled on top of that, her mother has cancer. Her father ran out on them when she was two. And she doesn't much like her grandmother.

It's played by 4 actresses, grown women all, alternately playing sulky teenagers and trying hard adults. There isn't much in the way of the set (though it's worth seeing simply for what they do with the flats at the end) aside from 4 tables of varying sizes. So do not be surprised if a table nest features in my next show...

They use music, some bits of costumes, the varyingly sized tables and that's about it. And it's beautifully directed. Lovely movement. Lovely appropriate sentiment. And very funny too.

As stories go, it's relatively inconsequential. But they did it so charmingly that were it not for the fact that I'd hauled my dad along too, I'd have darted into the toilet for a little cry afterwards. You know, cos it was so good and so sad and they did so well. And they had about 7 people in the audience.

Go see. It's on til the 31st. At 2:15pm right enough so not exactly convenient but worth making an effort for. If only because - depending on your proclivities - one of the Swedish girls is absolutely gorgeous. It's been a sellout in Sweden. They deserve more than 7 viewers a show. I hope they get it.

And then, because Katy, technician for our show, is kind, I went to see her show. Screwloose by Village Idiots. (Impressive use of a favicon - or is it a flavicon? - on their website by the way.) It was a great fun little show. A more or less completely inconsequential storyline but a great set, really nice performances and brilliant masks.

I'm not really a fan of masked stuff on the whole. I avoid it where I can as well, surely god gave us faces for a reason. But (so benevolent) made an exception here. And I'm very glad I did. They're only charging £5 for tickets. It's on at 4:30pm til the end of next week. And Katy is as adorable as I'd expect her to be.

As I left the show, the venue manager collared me and gave me a feedback form to reflect on our time in the Meeting House. I said I could hardly complain about anything as the show had been such a freakish success. He said yes, he didn't know why it had done so well either but there we were. Thanks, mate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home