Wednesday, December 19, 2007

My 201st post. That's quite exciting. For something that started as a publicity stunt.

Saw a couple of films at the weekend. I expected one to be rubbish and one to be good. In fact, they were the other way around.

I went (with a token child) to see Enchanted on Saturday. I expected this to be poor. Tale of a cartoon princess who falls into real-life New York. But it was surprisingly sweet. I felt suitably aghast when she almost didn't get her man. And I even managed to convince myself I'd achieved something useful from a day job point of view as one of the scenes was half like something we're proposing in a TV script just now. Visual stimulus - as the advertising wankers would say.

Then I went to see Les Chansons D'Amour on Sunday night. I expected this to be lovely. French, quirky, misfit charming. And it was terrible. Genuinely awful. I would have left after approx 20 minutes but I was fourth into our row. It was screen 3 in the Filmhouse and I was the side furthest from the door. And had no idea of whether half of my 'party' of cinema goers were delighted or appalled by it. So sat through it squiriming as each new song brought fresh horrors.

The only satisfying thing about the whole experience was that each of the aforementioned 'party' were equally appalled. I should have known better as I was disappointed by Dans Paris and horrified by Ma Mere, both by the same guy. Perhaps next time I shall learn the lesson. If I don't, I shall certainly be relearning it alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home