Wednesday, November 07, 2007

We currently have no proposed entry for the SCDA One Act Play Festival next year. And it suddenly occurred to me - practically on the eve of delivering my AGM presidential speech about how the past year's activity has been all about me - that maybe I could seize the opportunity to direct again.

The One Act Play Festival is a commercial low risk scenario. Almost no risk. If it weren't for the fact that the audience for this is pretty much the same as the audience we get the rest of the year round. So I suppose you could argue that you could actually do untold economic damage at the festival by producing something so godawful that no-one will ever come and see one of your shows again.

So maybe subconsciously as the final nail in the almost hammered shut lid of our theatre group, the idea of entering an extraordinarily strange play by Sarah Kane, mistress of the bleak, popped into my head a week or so ago. I wouldn't ever quite dare to produce this as a commercial venture but given that you pay an entry fee and staging costs only for the festival, it struck me as a brilliant opportunity for a little self-indulgence.

So I darted along to see Douglas at the strange world-within-a-world that is the SCDA play library last night and picked up a copy of the script. Had a bit of a peruse, completely fell in love with the way that she writes (wrote in fact) again and decided that I would propose this as an entry at our AGM tonight. I shall keep you posted.

1 Comments:

Blogger imw said...

I assume that the committee are satisfied that this is a meaningful play.

1:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home