Monday, January 08, 2007

I’m reading scripts wildly now. I’m not sure about a festival show or a November show. We have a director possibly lined up for May. I’m tempted by the festival because it seems my last efforts in this vein have been rather more successful – financially at least – than poor CCC. But then the festival means you have to keep it to 2 hours all in and a skimpy set that can be flung up and flung down, all within the 2 hour confines. So not quite so satisfying artistically.

And for the festival, I can’t think of anything of the right length. For a full-length show, there are loads I would like to do. “Solemn Mass for a Full Moon in Summer”. “Antigone.” “The Glass Menagerie”. “Macbeth”. And for a full-length show, maybe I could twist the arm of the Best Lighting Man in Edinburgh – if he’d ever work with me again. But then if I did a festival show, maybe I could twist the arm of the Best Sound Man in Edinburgh. Or maybe my brilliant DJ who crafted our “polaroids” soundtrack could be prevailed upon to craft something else. Decisions decisions.

And we don’t have a venue for a festival show. And the deadline for Diverse Attractions space has passed (20 December! I checked last week!). And maybe we could get into the QMH but maybe that would be a terrible financial risk. And I can’t bear to lose money on two shows in a row. (We lost £200 on CCC – which did nothing to ease the fervour of my wound-licking.) But maybe I’d be more likely to lose money on some obscure intellectual November show (Brecht for god’s sake – who thought that would sell tickets..?). But. But. But.

I consulted one of the chosen ones who said I should do a festival show, be selective with my casting and return to happy Polaroids form.

I’ll have to check with the committee first. Maybe they’ll refuse to have me back. I guess that’s the only advantage of being president…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home