Tuesday, November 28, 2006

More things I'd forgotten about Friday. He (adjudicator) mentioned Caroline and said something along the lines of "born to play the part". Which was exactly right. She's a marvellous actress who seems to do it effortlessly. I'm very jealous. I loved her "it's just their smell I can't stand". And many other of her lines. And her costumes were magic. So that was fitting praise from him.

He also singled out adorable little bouncy-as-anything-in-life but suitably-woebegon-on-stage Rhodri, our seven year old child star. He looked angelic as ever in the Friday show in his little brown hooded top. And I think it was Friday that he toppled over when Caroline gave him a hearty wrench to get him out of the circle. But hats' off to him, he didn't flinch. I would have wept like a baby, I'm sure. And the adjudicator (I should really call him by name - Ron Nicholl) said that he was a born star and we should hang onto him. So Andrea (mother), if you're reading this, can we keep him?

Charmingly, his parents were both in on the Friday and let him stay on for the adjudication though it was after ten by this time so it was great both that Ron was so complimentary but also that he got to hear it.

He (Ron) made some very constructive comments about how it should have been staged - grouping peasants together in the wedding scene so they could be more animated rather than scattering them across the stage. I think I consider things too symmetrically. And he thought I should have brought Grusha and Azdak down stage for the "I think I understand you woman" speech which I'm sure is right. He also thought I should have made more of a fuss of Jussup rising from the dead - and this was even before he knackered his rib so lucky he didn't see it on Saturday. I'm not sure I agreed with this. But all fair comment.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have just stumbled across your blog for the show. Glad to see it went so well. Also very glad its you and not me that has to deal with Christelle!

Nice to see that you're maintaining the produation of more interesting work.

All the best
Davie

2:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home