Monday, August 28, 2006

It occured to me recently that I'm rather losing sight of the original purpose of this blog with my rambling and fawning accounts of festival shows. However I shall permit myself one final foray into self-indulgence before returning to my original raison d'etre on this sad final day of the Fringe.

I saw two shows at the weekend there. A fantastic performance from NoFitState Circus who produced a show called ImMortal in a marquee that they fling up on a building site on Leith Walk. The finale sees the characters progressing from the twilight state occupied after death and before arrival at heaven / hell. And they did it beautifully with a kind of 3D image of a baby somehow projected into the air. And then the baby disappeared and a kind of waterfall of spray poured over the characters as they processed from the tent. I think it loses something in the retelling but in a tent full of dry ice and light bouncing off the spume, it was quite magical. It got me closer to crying when I thought about it at the crucial moment in this play I've been doing than anything else has managed so far. Cynical bitch that I am.

Rather more relevantly, I saw The Resistable Rise of Arturo Ui yesterday. Unwittingly actually as I stupidly hadn't realised it was by Brecht until the programme was handed to me. But it was really interesting to see another of his plays staged as I haven't (sloppily) read anything else by him yet. Reminded me yet again that I should do a bit of reading on him before we kick off. Though with a week to go, I may rather struggle in this respect.

But returning at last to my (single-minded) purpose, things are progressing apace with this here play. I've been listening to music to try and compile my brief for the music man. And am about to go listen to some of his previous work to get some idea of what he might be able to do. I laboured painstakingly over the rehearsal schedule yesterday trying to accomodate all these evening classes. And now need to apply myself to getting some of my blocking down on paper.

Week to go. Goodness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home