Monday, August 24, 2020

I watched Vicky Featherstone last night interviewing a writer called Anne Enright in the stoically determined Book Festival who I think is very famous and established. But I think I've been careless enough to not read any books by her. 

BS tempted me to watch it. Although the novel Anne has written was called Actress, I'm ashamed to say it was mostly Vicky that lured me along. And I mostly listened with half an ear, disrespectfully, alongside performing small and simple life chores.

But then Anne said that what made theatre really special for her was the "tawdriness and the glamour" of theatre. By then, she'd also said - and I think this is a lumpen paraphrase - "when theatre's bad, it's bad. And when it's good, it can be glorious".

Should've been a week into our run of crackers at venue 40 today. It's also in a strange writhing twist, the tenth anniversary of one of my all-time favourite shows, The Tempest, executed on a tethered boat in Leith. Instead, I spent my Saturday night watching (in fairness, I wouldn't have got to see Bernadine and Nicola, had things been as they should) a godforsaken dance movie

Oh, Fringe. It's just all a bit sad.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home