Wednesday, August 26, 2015

The final week is upon us. And I've seen some pretty excellent stuff.

I expected great things from Grid Iron's Light Boxes but, whilst incredibly beautiful and incredibly well "dressed", the story was - well, perhaps just a story that didn't benefit from told in a linear form. Or not in an hour and (blessedly) ten (rather than the billed twenty by the time I got to see it) minutes. Or maybe just a bit of a weird jumbly story. I wouldn't be rushing back to see that again.

In a heartbeat, I would rush back to see Max Richter's Four Seasons played exquisitely by the BBC Symphony Orchestra and a wonderful floppy haired violinist. They played another piece too with which I was not familiar and to my great chagrin, took some small naps during. (Yes, Michael, the leopard does not change, not even in the Fringe. But I did stay wide awake and alert for both of your plays!) All the more reason to go and see it again but unfortunately, it was on for one night only at the Playhouse. So that'll be me. I shall go hunt a recording.

I would also rush back to see a chap called Jamie Wood performing a truly marvellous parody of Yoko Ono's art and approach to life. O No! is on at Assembly Roxy until the weekend. It's a little eccentric, a lot funny and full of heart. It contained one of the most beautiful (and let's not be pretentious but I feel compelled to say "truthful") moments I've seen on stage all Fringe. Just incredible. That / he and his torch-lit giant gym ball is well worth a look. 

Jon Cozart came about entirely thanks to Miriam as I wouldn't have known such a man existed otherwise. And - as you'll be able to tell from this vaguely teenage rapture, I thought he was wonderful. Very witty and smart and perspicacious.

I loved A Girl Is A Half Formed Thing too, though it's hard-going. But it's one of the best - and probably the hardest won - performances I've seen this Fringe.  

Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home