Tuesday, October 16, 2012

On the delicious day that I changed the nature of my profession in advertising from doing things to just thinking about them, I said goodbye to only one portion of my job with any real regret. Attending shoots (both photo and TV) and recording sessions. In part for the catering which is usually far superior to anything I should cater for myself. But in part, for the curiosity of how the professionals do it.

Yesterday demonstrated that all things being equal, it was probably for the best.

I had the fluky lucky pleasure of attending a recording session. Not for anything terribly important - just the taping of descriptions of TV ads for research purposes. But it took place in a real recording studio with a real lady voice over and a real sound engineer. And very real shiny red branded pencils - which is always the measure of a quality establishment.

My leaving this doing job must have more or less coincided with my starting directing. So happily for all concerned, opinionated me (as opposed to mild mannered pleasant and humble me) has never been unleashed on a (professionally qualified) audience.

Until the yester day.

I tried to bite my lip and let our creative guy get on with it. I squirmed and wriggled and smiled nicely. But in the end - too much!

"Do you think you might take a bit more time over that? It felt a bit rushed."

And then the floodgates were opened.

"Do you think you might try and sound more disappointed when you say this? They're not supposed to be doing That."

"Do you think you might leave less of a gap between Those Two Words?"

"Do you think you might try and sound more like you're telling a story when you read that? I mean (oh always the caveat) not like you're talking to 5 year olds but still..."

"Do you think...?"

"Do you think....?"

"Do you possibly think....?"

Poor actress lady had the patience of the saintly.

Our poor creative boy hid the undoubted hate shining out of his eyes by focusing on the glorious basin of chocolate biscuits.

Our producer sat tapping on her laptop pretending none of this was happening.

And one and a half obliging (actress) patient (creative) constructive (engineer) excitable (I) hours later, we were done.

To my great regret.

To everyone else's great relief.

Probably best that I don't get to play in this way too often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home