Monday, May 23, 2011

x2 lovely treats at the weekend.

Last week saw our May production taking to the boards. The Comedy of Errors. A script I had no time for til I saw Propeller's production back in February.

Gordon did a very nice job with it. He snipped up the script, put a projector into a starring role to aid the sometimes cumbersome storytelling and found himself a very clever cast to make sure the resulting nonsense skipped along.

Various of my favourites were featuring (oh, wait, not that I - as impartial director - have favourites...) alongside some very talented newcomers. I managed to come away without a programme rather carelessly but I did like the two sets of twins and they were supported by some rather fabulous cameos.

It made for an exceedingly entertaining Friday. And best of very best of all, it looks as if we should have made money.

(As I'm hankering for the day that I do a play that requires the payment of some performing rights...)

On Sunday night, I trotted along to the cinema, slightly speculatively as I didn't expect to find myself with time for such a treat. The spontaneous nature of the outing and the inevitable (if I'd thought about it) sellout of the fourth portion of the pirates story meant I was "forced" into seeing something called Win Win.

I knew nothing of it but a quick scan of that informative cinema magazine mentioned The Station Master in the same breath. So I thought it would probably be ok.

And it was infinitely better than that.

Round faced Paul Giamatti starred. The story sounds desperately unappealing. A family take in a teenager who turns out to be a wrestling (literally) tearaway.

But the story unfolds with a beautiful understated charm, coaxed along by that kind of acting that is hardly acting at all. It kinds of resolves itself and it kind of doesn't, as with all the best - or most real, at any rate - stories.

And you're left - well, I was left - happy to be alive to be walking back across the Meadows on a blustery almost summer's evening.

You can't ask for more than that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home