Monday, September 06, 2010

Saturday night, with beautiful serendipity, turned out to be my favourite theatre thing of the Festival(s) so far.

Diciembre. At the Lyceum. By a Chilean group called Teatro en el Blanco. Which apparently means either Theatre On Target or Starting From Zero.

I felt slightly bitter as I trotted towards the theatre as I'd wished o how I'd wished to go see the Mahler at the Usher Hall. The symphony of 1,000 voices. I don't believe this gets performed very often on account of needing 1,000. And I haven't ever heard it in all my life but I like a big choir so I'd noted it and resolved to attend it fairly early on. Nurtured by the fact that one of my clients who faithfully trotted along to the Tempest and was subsequently adorable about it was performing as one of the 1,000.

But unfortunately in the cut throat world of the EIF classical repertoire, noting something in the programme does not translate into a ticket. Several weeks ago, I made my ticket attempt and twas gone gone gone. And then I had to walk past happy hoards of smug people who hadn't only noted but had Acted and bought a ticket pouring into the neighbouring venue. (Later, I found consolation on discovering that tickets had sold out on the day on which they went on sale. Well, I would never have been this organised.)

Anyway, heartened by a five star review from Joyce in the plate glass windows of the Lyc, I sprung more cheerfully into the theatre. Procured my ticket. And god love them when I slunk into the auditorium with seven minutes to spare, the theatre was half empty. More than half empty. I sloped up to a programme vendor to ask if many more people were expected as there were, at that point, approx 70 or 80 people scattered throughout the stalls. And he laughed drily and said that they had over 500 unsold seats that night so I could take my pick.

I plumped down behind Jo Clifford who had a prime central seat and so it began.

It was wonderful wonderful wonderful. A war torn story - my favourite. Brother gets back on leave from the army to two pregnant twin sisters (his - the sisters, I mean, not the unborn babes). One sister is all in favour of the war and extolls its virtues endlessly. So what if he dies? It will be in the name of honour and glory. And other sister is utterly against the war and tries to persuade him to desert.

They are attended by a couple of relatives and a jilted (brother's) lover. It's very fast, very dark, very political, very funny. Very lovely. All in Spanish so fast fast subtitles, peculiarly perched in the boxes so slight neck cricking going on.

And despite the auditorium with over 500 empty seats, they gave the most stupendous performance. Brilliant brilliant acting. It was the perfect festival finale.

I fantasise about directing it. Fluent Spanish, anyone? O and you must be beautiful.

Then I got to meet for sure a truncated collection of my beloved Tempest cast in the Trav bar for clutching at old straws drinks. But some is better than none. And I was consoled. Thanks most, all. I'll be over it soon, promise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home