Sunday, July 18, 2010

This will inevitably sound pompous and self-congratulatory (as if I don't always). But we had a really cracking show with our little Shakespeare in Lot last night. I suppose the virtue of collecting together a bunch of narcissists is that they'll all work and strive to do whatever they're doing pretty respectably. At any rate, they did last night.

Highlights for me included the witches as Morningside ladies - and then Ready Steady Cookers. John Kelly hand-wringing as Susan tormented him with the bloodied daggers. He's a fine actor, that man. Gordon did a cracking Henri V at Agincourt (not that I would have known this but the programme told me so) that elicited a bit of a spontaneous cheer. SJ did a lovely monologue On Quoting Shakespeare. I must urge her to audition for us some day. Neil and Natasha did a lovely dance - as did Margaret and Susan for that matter. That Wendy Barrett is a clever lady. The Improbables were powerfully masterful. And my Miranda and Ferdinand were just the handsomest couple you could hope for.

From a completely selfish point of view, I managed to choke out my Much Ado lines I think without hiccup although I possibly said one word shockingly wrong. But it wasn't the disaster which I was terrified it would be. So I can (sadly) leave my script at home today and roam free and unencumbered. Though of course I'll miss it. As I had rather hear a dog bark at a crow than a man swear he loves me.

DG did a rather superb job of compering the whole thing. And then hosting an impromptu after-show party of quite extraordinary debauchery.

All in all, a fine night. We might even have made a slender profit. Well done us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home