Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Sunday night, on the other hand, was much less satisfying.

Any Given Day by Linda McLean at the Traverse.

Now I don't like to be cruel but I hated it so much that it's hard not to be.

Any Given Day appeared initially (to me!) to be one of these dreary plays that plants a couple of characters at some unspecified point in the future in some dreary life with some looming unspecified post-apocalyptic danger lurking just round the corner. Well, I was slightly wrong here on two counts. The danger was actually lurking outside the (beautifully lit) window. And it was set not at some unspecified post-apocalyptic future point but I believe, about now.

Having told you that much, you'll have the general idea. As Ross said, this seems to be the general theme at the Traverse at the moment.

And do you know what? It all ran more or less as expected. You started to feel half fond of the two misfit characters. A bad thing (and it was terribly bad, this bad thing, with a surprising outburst of expletives and judicious use of a water sprinkler) happened. First half ends. My hope that we'd be led through to Trav One for a pantomime style companion piece was dashed when the scene shifters started darting about in the dark. The play resumed. Different (dreary hopeless) location. Different (dreary hopeless) characters. A good thing happens. Well, you think it's good. But is it? The conversation takes a surprising (inappropriately sexual) twist. There was no beautifully lit window though an interestingly pale couple of glasses of sancerre. You think there might be a mote of hope on the horizon. But that mote of hope comes rather at the expense of first two misfit characters who are left... well, who knows how. And it ends.

Now being strictly fair, Kate Dickie was very good. Dreary hopeless, as documented on celluloid, suits her beautifully. The other actors were all also very good but I found it hard to take them seriously as it was so dreary. I blame poor Linda. Don't get me wrong. It's not that I fear the drear. But what was this particular serving meant to be telling us? Don't ever hope for anything..? I don't really need to pay for a theatre ticket to hear this.

At least it was only a preview.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bluedog said...

I was there same night. Blimey, it was grim stuff.

The actors did well, but the dialogue simply did not ring true, especially in play 2.

If you can manage over to the Tron, you should not miss Doubt. Superb play and stunning performances.

The Tron excellence made a great contrast to the misery at the Traverse.

1:36 am  
Blogger Claire said...

I'm glad you agree! Thom Dibdin was pretty kind which disconcerted me. I suppose Joyce will have been along at the start of the week once the previews were over so I'll be interested to see what she thinks.

I would love to see Doubt but think I'm going to struggle as it's only on this week? I'm off to see a promenade production of Macbeth tomorrow at Traquair House and am due out on Sat night too. I might check to see whether there's a matinee!

8:54 am  
Blogger Bluedog said...

Joyce has been off, but appeared at the Tron with a stick, back reviewing.

Interestingly she gives 4 stars to both the Traverse and The Tron plays!

As far as the Traverse goes, a tad over-generous: the performances were very good, but the play did not quite hang together.

4:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home