Monday, May 10, 2010

I almost forgot to share the cultural highlight of my trip to Barcelona. It goes by the name of "Lobbing Potatoes at a Gong" and is the product of the illustrious mind of a Mr Rodney Graham.

Now I can't really understand Spanish but this will give you a flavour of the exhibit, highlight of an important new collection at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Barcelona (MACBA):

A Lobbing Potatoes at a Gong, 1969 (2006), Rodney Graham recrea una coneguda escena de la història del rock en què un músic llança patates contra un gong, en una mena de performance curiosa.

A curious performance indeed. He went on to turn these very same potatoes into vodka, on display in a case behind the film screen.

I can't even begin to describe the power of this installation. Words can scarcely do it justice. So I shall settle for some reprobate pirate video clip - someone filming the installation at some point in particularly ropey quality. My favourite moment is when all the people get up and walk out (this is not part of the film - I watched all ten minutes of it to try and find the point.) But it'll give you at least a sense of the poignancy and passion expressed in this potatoey hell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home