Tuesday, September 08, 2009

I'm gorging rather on cinema at the moment. I went to see Broken Embraces last night. Though it sounds infinitely better in Spanish: Los abrazos rotos.

Almodovar's latest, it's actually been fairly well reviewed. Like 4 stars well reviewed. So I expected both pretty and fine things.

In actuality, I think it was rather style and angst over substance. That's perhaps unfair. It did look gorgeous. And the plot was as tortured and convoluted as you'd expect from an Almodovar movie. Same old story, it wasn't helped by the fact that I slept deeply in the middle of it and woke up with very little idea of what film I was actually seeing. But I think I managed to pick up the threads of the plot again fairly successfully. It seemed that there were as many holes as I'd suspected when I discussed it with Brie afterwards.

And I feel it's a sad indictment of the film that I stayed awake for 500 Feeble Days of Summer but not for this art. But maybe I'd just had a hard day at work...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home