Tuesday, December 23, 2008

We went along to the Traverse Christmas Quiz last night at which we were ritually butchered. Although with only Brian's name identifying the team, my ignorance is a secret yet safe I think.

Beautiful Emma was there, looking beautiful and perfect despite professing to feel ill and terrible. I thought quietly to myself that I wasn't even ill but felt weak and terrible and looked it. She did not.

Anyway, one great piece of news. I have - as ever - half an eye on my next again show which is slightly crazy given that I haven't started rehearsals for my chronologically next show yet. And it's only 3 days til Christmas so perhaps I could more productively be thinking about how to cook the turkey.

But anyway, I'm still flirting with the idea of doing Antigone. This was a plan born out of the Festival-double-bill-with-Brian's-ex-wife idea though I'm not sure how much of that story made it as far as the blog. I think not much while we were still in negotiations as it seemed inappropriate.

As it happens, the double bill has withered on the vine but having twisted Ross' arm to read the play, he still murmurs about it now and again and I have always had a terrible romantic obsession with the story. After all, what could be more perfect than the story of a girl who keeps everyone else happy but herself?? And ends up dead for her troubles.

The stumbling block was a) the script as it's so didactic (would that be the word?) as to be almost unpalatable for a modern audience and b) Antigone. Who could / should play such a part which can easily be very unsympathetic but to get the point across, shouldn't be..? She also should be fairly young. And whenever you need a specific type of person, there always seems to be a dearth of them in this lunatic amateur world.

Anyway, far it be from me to do anything so unprofessional as precast but when Ross suggested Emma, it seemed wildly optimistic as she's always festivalled up to her eyes in August. However, when I put this to her last night (and eventually we wind round to revealing the first piece of good news), she didn't pchaw and laugh scornfully and say 'don't be ridiculous I would rather gouge my eyes out than get involved in your Greek classic' but instead offered a 'wasn't quite sure what she'll be doing next festival - can she comment nearer the time?' which in my wildly over-optimistic mind is almost a yes. Wouldn't you say?

The second piece of good news is that Dmitri is back in the Globe. Just in time for Christmas. Maybe he could be my Antigone's fiance....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home