Monday, September 03, 2007

Fuerzabruta was pretty cool. Located in a giant black tent next to a shopping centre, it’s not the most romantic of locations but the innards of the tent were filled with smoke, a giant bar and plenty beautiful people so you soon forget you’re milling around in a carpark.

You can be cruel and say it’s just a circus featuring a bunch of acrobats with some smart effects (as mother did) or you can be kind and say it’s an incredible piece of physical theatre (as father did). I think I would err on my father’s side of the fence.

It’s another salutary lesson in how electric light can make giant pieces of plastic sheeting and some clever rope tricks look cool. Though an incredibly talented cast, a brilliant DJ with mad Einstein hair and a lot of splooshing water helped things along too.

In hindsight, much of the element of surprise had been lost by the fact that going along at the tail end of the festival meant I’d heard numerous versions of events already. So the swimming pool showpiece was amazing – but not as amazing as if I’d had no idea at all in advance that it would float into sight towards the end of the show.

But I didn’t begrudge the £25 ticket price in the slightest and you can’t ask for more than that. I think they’re touring Europe next so go see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home