Saturday, May 12, 2007

"Carthage Must Be Destroyed" (Alan Wilkins) was very good. Of course, I totally fancied the main man, Sean Campion - lovely accent - which helped. The set was a bit of a show-stopper - Roman baths steaming gently in the middle of Traverse 2. Though I was a bit perturbed by the colour scheme (black and red) which was very dramatic and I suppose conveyed suitable amounts of menace but seemed curiously inappropriate for a bathing scene. But then gentle blues perhaps just wouldn't have cut it. I was less keen on the slightly laboured parallels with Iraq but the basic story - a rather cocky guy's fall from grace - was beautifully told. With some nice little character studies along the way. And Sean, if you happen to be googling yourself and fancy dinner, do give me a shout.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bluedog said...

I wondered what the traverse 2 show was like - glad you enjoyed it.

Aalst in traverse 1 was about a Belgian couple who murdered their children. Well performed, but not a jolly evening out! I do have reservations about it.

1:06 pm  
Blogger Claire said...

I was interested to read your thoughts on this on your blog. I really liked the play. To me, it was a really interesting dramatisation of a horrible story. I liked the 'jingle bells' music as seasonal scene setting rather than feeling it trivialised the subject matter.

In terms of messages, for me it was about the way that misery and / or lack of imagination can result in a situation spiralling out of control. Very valid food for thought.

5:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home