Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Ross and I last night went to see John Tiffany (I do so love him) and Vicky Featherstone in conversation with Joyce McMillan. Alongside a plump handful of youthful looking students and a scrawnier handful of representatives of Edinburgh's am dram trying to be professional dram glitterati.

Joyce I feel like I like more every time I see her. Though she didn't mention Brian. John, well I've always loved him since he told me I should go read this amazing new book, White Teeth, when he was critiqueing my contribution to that year's Traverse young writer's scheme. And Vicky, I've never really met so how could I form an opinion?

Joyce did a masterful if lengthy job of guiding us through the back catalogue of the NTS. I was informed and illuminated to learn (Siobhan won't like that - illuminated to learn - so wrong!) that John and Vicky have been working together for years. So their co-karaoke on Sat night was born from true love rather than the politically sensitive love you tend to develop for work colleagues. Their next projects both sound remarkable and amazing. And predictably I came away determined to blaze an (amateur) trail that a professional company could be proud of.

Interestingly, Joyce noted that Vicky has directed both crave and Tiny Dynamite in her time. So I'm quite possibly only 6 to 7 years away from being the next artistic director of the National Theatre of Scotland...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home