Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Once the shock of the first week back at work is out the way, I love this time of year. A cinematographic (is that a word??) orgy.

I saw The Wrestler on Saturday night and that was outstanding. I hadn't realised it was directed by the King of Real Life Bleakness, Darren Aronofsky but my goodness, he did a fine job. And Mickey Rourke has been rightly showered with praise. A fine study in presenting a basically unsympathetic character in an enormously touching manner.

And then I'm just back from trailers for Milk, Revolutionary Road and Frost / Nixon, all of which I'm very much looking forward to seeing. And we watched the much vaunted Slumdog Millionaire. I confess to slight disappointment but perhaps only in the wake of The Wrestler which was a brilliant piece of film-making. Slumdog, though boasting the cacophony of India as a backdrop, was maybe a more predictable tale. But who am I to judge??! I'm delighted for Danny Boyle. And the kids are just adorable.

Sandwiched between these two, I snuck in another rehearsal for my Pillowman last night. DG - hooorah - back at last from Texas so I had a full complement of actors. And I felt my first little flicker of actually this is going to be really good excitement. Maybe not quite the Wrestler but we'll give it our best shot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home