Thursday, March 06, 2008

Unchronologically (still playing catch up), I saw Speed the Plow in London at the weekend.

I love Kevin Spacey and have always had a strange slimey crush on Jeff Goldblum (as evidenced in an obscure obsession with a film called The Favour, The Watch and The Very Big Fish which features the aforementioned Mr Goldblum). So I must admit that it was these baser sentiments which drove my desire to see Mamet's work than any kind of artistic quest.

But I have never been to the Old Vic and I was particularly taken with going now that it's under the artistic leadership of Mr Spacey. Bound to see him after all, loitering in the bar area smoking a rakish and illegal cigarette before the show starts... And we were in London anyway so it was rude not to, really.

The play was typically Mamet. The more I read / see of him, the less I'm sure whether I like him. I can see that his rambling circuitous writing style might be very naturalistic but it must be a wee bastard to learn (and I know that Ross knows this following on from his froggy starring role a few years back). But I do like the themes that he tussles with: what might tempt people to venture out of their day-to-day cosy existence and how they cope with them being sharply dunked back into it. So as a character study, I thought the play was interesting. Though I got a bit tired of the nonsensical (deliberately so) rambling about the alternative film script.

Kevin was marvellous. A cracking actor. Completely believable. Slightly ridiculous, full of self-importance but underneath all of this, a desperately hopeful man. Jeff I felt struggled a little bit with being on the stage. He almost seemed to be shouting many of his lines at the start of the play - but maybe this was just nerves. But he is such a marvellously unusual looking man and did, I think, have that almost element of exotica that makes the ending particularly convincing. So maybe as the Guardian suggested - he was actually pretty good too.

The girl was just annoying. But then given that she was strutting around on stage with two of my loves, was I ever going to warm to her..?

So all in al, I would go see it if you're passing. Just for Kevin Spacey really. And Kevin, if you're reading this and are seeking an assistant, think of me! I'm good, honest......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home